Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Uphill Downhill

This past summer I have tried to ride bikes alot instead of driving the truck. I have different reasons why. One, the weather is nice. Two, it is quicker than walking. Three, it saves on miles (As missionaries you are only allowed a certain amount of miles that you can drive for a month). For the most part biking has been fine. I liked doing it in Conrad and in Fairfield. It was really nice in Townsend and we had really nice bikes. Well when I found out that I was going to be in a car share here in Helena and only have the truck half the week I thought no problem. I have been riding bikes this whole summer I am a pro. Oh how I was wrong.
The difference between riding bikes in Conrad, Fairfield, Townsend and now Helena is that those first areas were flat and Helena has so many hills.  Going down is a breeze but making it back up those hills is a real challenge.
I really think that life is like this. Sometimes in our life everything seems to be pretty easy going, pretty flat. We like it. It really doesn't require that much effort. Then something happens where you now feel like you are going up hill all the time. It is hard. Sometimes you just want to stop and take a rest. But the wonderful thing is that even though you have all those tough hills to go up going down them is so much better then staying flat.
We have to have some hard things in our lives to truly appreciate the blessings that God has given us. Lehi states this clearly in 2 Nephi 2:11. He says," For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things."

Now I still don't really like going up hill but I do enjoy flying down hill alot better then just riding on a flat road all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment